Job position at Arvinas, New Haven, CT. Deadline is on
Senior Research Scientist
This position will be responsible for conducting experiments independently towards PROTAC based drug discovery in an oncology laboratory. A background in cancer genetics, transcription factors, gene and chromatin regulation is highly desirable.
The role is primarily laboratory-based and requires exceptional experimental skills, the ability to effectively partner with team members across multiple functional areas to deliver quality data, and multitask. This is a dynamic and fast paced environment requiring intellectual curiosity, excellent molecular biology skills, knowledge in the biology of oncogenesis and a “nothing is impossible” attitude. Experience in independent decision making, troubleshooting, experimental design, and implementing and executing studies is essential in this role to support drug discovery efforts.
This position reports to a Principal Research Investigator in the Biology department and will be located at our headquarters in New Haven, CT.
This research scientist’s work is almost entirely laboratory-based, with responsibilities that include but are not limited to:
- Leverage multiple assay platforms in molecular biology to measure, understand and interpret target engagement, pathway modulation and cell sensitivity in response to small molecule treatment/target modulation, including TR-FRET, DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, RT-PCR, qRT-PCR, gene expression methodologies, IP, ChIP
- Execute high quality standard analytical assays (eg. high quality Western blots, ELISA, MSD etc) with excellent technical proficiency and trouble shooting skills
- Perform cellular functional assays (i.e. 2D/3D cellular proliferation assays/cytotoxicity/apoptosis assays/siRNA/shRNA knockdown assays)
- Independently select methods, design, execute, analyze and interpret own cell-based experiments using various cell culture plate formats with suspension and adherent cell lines Design, QC, validate, and execute medium- to high- throughput 96/384 well assay formats (proliferation assays/cytotoxicity/apoptosis assays)
- Interact and collaborate with biology and chemistry team members to facilitate program progression
- One of team’s go-to person in the lab for advice, troubleshooting help – experimentally and with interpretation when needed by others.
- Maintenance of cell lines for own experiments, ensuring QC of and LN stocks are maintained and catalogued appropriately
- Document, compile and interpret experimental data; manage laboratory notebook, databases, and/ or spreadsheets, present data to peers and senior colleagues
- Timely planning of experiments to ensure availability of lab reagents and resources in advance of executing own experiments
- Contribute to new target identification goals
- Ensuring that high quality standards are met in delivery of all work and conducting that work to the standards of a good lab citizen
- Keep up to date with relevant scientific and technical developments; apply relevant learnings to Arvinas work and experiment design
- Experience in mentoring and teaching less experienced scientists
- Experience in a range of cellular functional assays; including but not limited to high throughput cell culturing and aseptic techniques, 2D/3D cellular proliferation assays/cytotoxicity/apoptosis assays, qPCR, RT-PCR, siRNA/shRNA/CRISPR knockdown assays
- Experience with development and optimization of cell-based and biochemical assays for protein analyses using a variety of readout technologies (e.g. high quality Western blots, IP/ChIP, ELISA, MSD, immune-fluorescence, luminescence, TR-FRET, AlphaLISA)
- Experience with high quality DNA and RNA isolation
- Experience handling large data such as for proteomic screens and NGS is a plus
- Excellent data handling and recording skills are essential
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential
- Team player and multitasker to work on several projects simultaneously
- Experience in managing direct reports is a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Prism, etc. is required and ability to learn specialized instrument software as needed.
- PhD with 6+ years post-doc experience or equivalent in Pharma/Biotech in molecular and cancer biology with excellent publication record as evidenced by first author publications in relevant journals.