Job position at Harvard University. Deadline is on
Associate Director, Dept of Physics
Working closely with the faculty Director of Undergraduate Studies, the Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies manages and plans academic affairs operations. The individual manages the Undergraduate Program Administrator and oversees the undergraduate programming within the Department of Physics.
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment
- Acts as lead Department contact for all aspects related to the Undergraduate program and meets regularly with concentrators for mentoring, advising, and general support
- Hosts regular office hours for students
- Provides guidance and input on Teaching Fellow assignments; manages Course Assistant assignments
- Assists Department Chair with course assignments for undergraduate courses
- Reviews, approves, and manages all concentrator requirements/requests
- Organizes undergraduate summer research funding by working with faculty and other College funding offices
- Works with the Society of Physics Students in offering support for academic and social events
- Leads course development which may include recommendation and implementation of course sequencing, scheduling, and grading processes
- Acts as an advising resource for faculty and other academics regarding educational strategies and formats
- Leads curriculum development which may include developing new courses and assessing curricular offerings
- Establishes and monitors administrative systems and leads the implementation of process redesigns; updates various documents, guides, and websites, as needed
- Develops specialized reports to analyze statistics pertaining to course development, teaching efforts, and student progress
- Represents the Department in school-wide or University-wide meetings, as required; serves on Department committees based on experience and expertise.
- Ensures compliance with University policies and procedures and applicable legal rules and regulations.
- PhD in Physics required by date of hire.
- Experience in teaching and research needed.
- A combination of education and experience will be considered
- Cover Letter
- Teaching statement
- Contact information for at least two references to provide a letter of recommendation
Applicants are invited to create a SciCast presentation of their research to attach to their application.
Tip: To strengthen your application consider posting a video-summary of your most exciting research.